Application Requirements for IAUD International Design Award 2019
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The IAUD International Design Awards were established in 2010 in order to promote and champion Universal Design by recognising and rewarding outstanding achievements and in particular products, services and environments that ensure people of all ages and abilities can enjoy an active, independent and productive life, regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnicity, culture, ability, customs, or other factors.
The goal of IAUD and the Awards program is to foster social structures that are sustainable and universal, favour diversity and inclusion, ensure safety and promote human rights and responsibilities, encourage dialogue, collaboration and co-operation, and ensure the passing-on of appropriate knowledge and skills from one generation to the next.
Extension of a deadline of application for IAUD International Design Award 2019
We extend the deadline of application as follows:Schedule
Deadline for the 1st selection: August 9, 2019
The past eight years of the awards have seen sustained progress, and to maintain this momentum the Judging Panel is looking for entries that:
- Push the boundaries of Universal Design in new and exciting directions.
- Prioritize high-quality user-based research, in particular direct engagement with disabled users and others at risk of being excluded from the market.
- Consciously avoid exclusivity arising from innovations and new technologies, in particular for specific groups of users.
- Go beyond conventional ‘usability’ by identifying specific problems relating to diverse groups of users and delivering solutions to them.
- Demonstrate long-term corporate commitment to UD, supported by a company-wide vision and plan to ensure continuing improvement.
- Are supported by honest and informative promotional material.
All entries meeting essential standards of Universal Design will receive an IAUD International Design Award certificate and citation, be featured on the IAUD website and related publicity and will be granted use of the IAUD International Design Award Mark.
Outstanding entries will be recognised with Gold, Silver and Bronze awards presented at a special ceremony, along with Grand and Patron’s awards honouring exceptional and long-term achievements.
All corporations, organizations, individuals and groups, inside and outside Japan, engaged in innovative UD activities and proposals for achieving a sustainable, harmonious society through the promotion of new and improved concepts in town development, products, and systems are eligible to apply. Specific businesses, teams and other sub-units of corporations and organizations are also eligible. As long as the work or the example of an activity is the applicant’s own, it does not matter if it has already been published or presented elsewhere.
Topics / Categories
- Universal Design in General (Concept, Philosophy, etc.)
- Architecture / Regional Planning (Urban Development, Public Space, Parks, etc.)
- Tourism / Inclusive Culture/ Mobility (Public Transportation, Automobiles, etc.)
- Housing / Household Equipment / Interior Design
- Commodities / daily life products / Industrial Design
- Package Design / Fashion Design
- Information and Communications / Broadcasting and Mass Media / Graphic Design
- Software / System Design / Website Design / Interaction Design
- Ergonomics / Human Engineering / Sensory Engineering / Other Types of Engineering and Technology
- Health Care and Nursing / Hygiene and Sanitation / Social Welfare Services / Labor
- Environmental Protection / Ecology / Resources and Energy / Sustainable Design
- Education and Enlightenment / Ethics and Morality / Standards and Certification / Legislation
- Disaster Prevention and Rescue / Security and Public Safety / National Defense / International Goodwill / Development Assistance
- Protection of Human Rights / Administration of Justice / Mutualistic Society / Declining Birthrate and Aging / Gender Equality
- Dietary Education and Food / Agriculture and Forestry / Livestock Industry / Fishing Industry / Industrial Development
- Distribution / Currency and Finance / Insurance / etc.
All entries will be thoroughly evaluated to ensure they meet one or more of the essential goals of the IAUD International Design Awards Program, and successful entries will go before the Jury Panel, who will make the final awards and citations.
Essential Goals of the IAUD International Design Awards Program:
- Sustainable and Universal: The entry presents concepts and practices suitable for creating a sustainable, mutualistic society.
- Diversity and Inclusion: The entry shows an understanding of the diversity of traditions, cultures, lifestyles and people, and does not exclude minorities but rather expressly includes them; and thus contributes to realizing a qualitatively rich and happy way of life.
- Safe and Secure Society: The entry contributes to the construction of mechanisms, systems and morals appropriate to a society that protects human rights and respects the humanity of every individual.
- Spontaneous and Sustainable Dialogue: The entry serves to build ongoing exchanges and relationships between corporations, design practitioners and clients, government, research institutions, NPOs, and citizens.
- Passing-on of Knowledge and Skills to the Next Generation: Through disseminating universal design and knowledge about it, the entry serves to cultivate individuals suited to lead the next generation.
NB Any entries that:
- violate public order and morality or any law or ordinance;
- infringe the rights of a copyright holder or some other third part;
- or whose contents the applicant refuses to disclose by way of a presentation;
IAUD International Design Award 2019 Jury Panel, composed of the academic experts, UD specialists, and other knowledgeable individuals (an organization of fair and neutral third parties) will judge the entries rigorously and impartially.
- The Chair of the Selection Committee: Roger Coleman (Professor Emeritus of the Royal College of Art, UK)
- Co-chair of the Selection Committee: Fumikazu Masuda (President, open house inc., Japan)
- The Members of the Selection Committee:
- Francesc Aragall (President, Design for All Foundation, Spain)
- Thomas Bade (CEO, Institute for Universal Design, Germany)
- Onny Eikhaug (President, EIDD Design for All Europe, Norway)
- Valerie Fletcher (Executive Director, Institute for Human-Centered Design, USA)
- Rama Gheerawo (Director, Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design, Royal College of Art, UK)
- Toshiharu Arai (Professor Emeritus, Kanazawa College of Art, Japan)
- Keiji Kawahara (Professor, Graduate School of Media and Design / Chair, Department of Design, School of Media and Design, Nagoya University of Arts and Sciences / Executive Director, IAUD, Japan)
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS AND USE OF AWARD MARK
Announcement of Awards
The results of the award will be notified to the applicants by the beginning of November 2019 and they will be officially announced at the award ceremony scheduled to be held this winter. The Grand and Gold award winners will also be asked to deliver presentations about their entries. (The date and time of the ceremony and the presentation will be notified on latter date.)
The contents of the award-winning entries can be presented in the venue of the ceremony, and, following the official announcement, will be disclosed to the public on IAUD’s website, through reports, and by other means. Kindly note that copyright in all reports and publications issued following the awards ceremony will rest with IAUD.
IAUD International Design Award Mark use
All award-winning entries will be granted a free license to use the IAUD International Design Award Mark during a promotion period following the awards ceremony, after which the IAUD International Design Award Mark may be used continuously for public relations purposes upon payment of a royalty.
The IAUD International Design Award 2019 Selection Committee will present IAUD International Design Awards to those entries deemed to meet the judge’s expectations in Universal Design. All award-winning entries will be granted use of the IAUD International Design Award mark, which is beneficial in familiarizing people with Universal Design and promoting its ideals.
Conditions and provisions for use of IAUD International Design Awards 2019 mark, please click on the following link:
Conditions and provisions for use of IAUD International Design Award 2019 mark（PDF:439KB）
*For results of the IAUD International Design Awards 2018, please click on the following link:
Announcement of IAUD International Design Award 2018 Winners
Download the prescribed application form from our website, fill in the necessary information, and then send the form (preferred format is Microsoft Word) to the IAUD International Design Award 2019 Division, Secretariat of the International Association for Universal Design by email attachment.
- The language used on the application form may be either Japanese or English. (We recommend making entries in both languages.)
- For each application, please pay 25,000 yen (tax not included) as the registration and selection fee.
- Please notify the Secretariat if payment of the registration and selection fee is to be delayed.
- All expenses related to the application shall be borne by the applicant.
- Deadline for the 1st round: August 9, 2019
- For Application Form, please click on the following link:
Applicants who successfully pass the 1st round will be invited to participate in the 2nd round, along with winners from collaborating Universal Design award schemes such as those organised by the Design for All Foundation, Barcelona and the Institut für Universal Design, Munich. Such applicants will need to send the following items to the IAUD International Design Award 2019 Division, Secretariat of the International Association for Universal Design by email: explanatory data compressed to maximum 5 MB (required format is PDF) to be used for the 2nd round, and if any, supplementary video data(preferred format is MP4).
- The language used on the data, etc. may be Japanese or English. (We recommend writing everything in both languages.)
- For each application, please pay 55,000 yen (tax not included) as the registration and selection fee.
[About Consumption Tax]
Please be noted that the consumption tax rate will be increased to 10 percent from 8 percent in October, 2019.
As 2nd selection process end in October, the fee including tax is 60,500 JPY.
If the consumption tax increase is postponed, the deference will be refunded.
- Please notify the secretariat if payment of the registration and selection fee is to be delayed.
- All expenses related to the application shall be borne by the applicant.
- Deadline for the 2nd round: October 15, 2019
Registration and application fee
Please contact secretariat () when you pay the fee by the bank transfer. We will issue the invoice. Please make sure to pay the fee by the deadline.
For credit card payment, please follow steps below and finish such procedure until the closing date.
|Application period for 1st round||Beginning of June to August 9, 2019|
|Selection period of 1st round||Middle of August, 2019|
|Notification of selection results||Middle of August, 2019|
|Application period for 2nd round||August 16 to October 15, 2019|
|Selection period of 2nd round||October 16 to October 31, 2019|
|Notification of final results||Beginning of November, 2019 *The award winners only|
Address for forwarding documents and making inquiries concerning the 1st round:
IAUD International Design Award 2019 Division, Secretariat, International Association for Universal Design
Address for forwarding explanatory data and supplementary video data for the 2nd round:
Download Application Form
About the Application Documents, and Other Matters
As a rule, application documents will not be returned. The contents of application documents, including personal information, will not be used for any purpose other than the selection process. A review of the selection process will be made public including reasons for awarding the prizes to the respective award recipients and comments regarding particularly outstanding aspects of the winning entries. Applicants whose entries sadly miss out on awards this year will also receive brief comments from the IAUD International Design Award 2019 Selection Committee members as to why their entries were not successful. This may be helpful as a reference in preparing future applications. However, inquiries regarding any other matters including details of the selection process and about the names of unsuccessful applicants, and objections to the selection results, will not be accepted.
By submitting an application, an individual agrees to the above conditions.