Call for Papers: The 7th International Conference for Universal Design in Bangkok 2019
1. Papers Are Invited
Deadline for receiving full papers: November 20, 2018 (The paper review will be sent back to authors for suggestion of revision by mid-January 2019. The deadline for receiving revised papers is February 15.)
*In the past occasions, we have asked abstract submissions first, but experiences suggest that information contained in the abstract is not enough to judge the real quality of full papers, and due to limited time available, we are asking the direct submission of full papers.
2. Eligible Applicants
Anyone involved in research and development, or practical activities, related to universal design is eligible to apply. Applicants whose papers were accepted for presentation (it might be oral or poster) are requested to complete registration to participate in the conference by January 31, 2019. By registering and paying the registration fee, you are entitled to publish your refereed paper in the conference proceedings with ISBN, even if situation did not allow you to attend and present the paper in person. (The final version has to be submitted taking into consideration of the reviewers comments, and the discussion at the conference.) Presenters are required to register. Early bird registration fee will be around 300.00 USD.
3. Schedule for Receiving and Reviewing Papers
Papers will be received and reviewed according to the schedule below. Any additional information that should become necessary will be posted on our website.
|July 30, 2018||Announcement of call for papers|
|November 20||Deadline for receiving full papers|
|Mid-November||Start of review of full papers|
|January 15, 2019||Notifications of review results and request for revisions of full papers|
|February 15||Deadline for receiving all revised papers|
|March 5-6||Presentations at the international conference|
4. Points to Heed in Writing a Paper
When writing your paper, please bear in mind those of the following review criteria, topics, categories and keywords that pertain to it, and ensure that it deals with them appropriately.
- Sustainable and Universal: The paper presents concepts and practices suitable for creating a sustainable, mutualistic society.
- Diversity and Inclusion: The paper shows an understanding of the diversity of traditions, cultures, lifestyles and people, and does not exclude minorities but rather expressly includes them; and thus contributes to realizing a qualitatively rich and happy way of life.
- Safe and Secure Society: The paper contributes to the construction of mechanisms, systems and morals appropriate to a society that protects human rights and respects the humanity of every individual.
- Spontaneous and Sustainable Dialogue: The paper serves to build ongoing exchanges and relationships between corporations, design practitioners and clients, government, research institutions, NPOs, and citizens.
- Passing-on of Knowledge and Skills to the Next Generation: Through disseminating universal design and knowledge about it, the paper serves to cultivate individuals suited to lead the next generation.
Topics / Categories
- Universal Design in General (Concept, Philosophy, etc.)
- Architecture / Regional Planning (Urban Development, Public Space, Parks, etc.)
- Tourism / Inclusive Culture/ Mobility (Public Transportation, Automobiles, etc.)
- Housing / Household Equipment / Interior Design
- Commodities / daily life products / Industrial Design
- Package Design / Fashion Design
- Information and Communications / Broadcasting and Mass Media / Graphic Design
- Software / System Design / Website Design / Interaction Design
- Ergonomics / Human Engineering / Sensory Engineering / Other Types of Engineering and Technology
- Health Care and Nursing / Hygiene and Sanitation / Social Welfare Services / Labor
- Environmental Protection / Ecology / Resources and Energy / Sustainable Design
- Education and Enlightenment / Ethics and Morality / Standards and Certification / Legislation
- Disaster Prevention and Rescue / Security and Public Safety / National Defense / International Goodwill / Development Assistance
- Protection of Human Rights / Administration of Justice / Mutualistic Society / Declining Birthrate and Aging / Gender Equality
- Dietary Education and Food / Agriculture and Forestry / Livestock Industry / Fishing Industry / Industrial Development
- Distribution / Currency and Finance / Insurance / etc.
- Accessibility / Usability (Ease of Use)
- Barrier Free / Normalization
- Inclusive Design / Design for All
- Social Design / Social Marketing
- Human-centered Design / Human Interface
- MOD (Management of Design) / MOT (Management of Technology)
- Regional Management / Community / Super-aged Society
- Social Responsibility / Social Security / Philanthropy
- Diversity / Inclusion
- Humanity / Human Dignity / Human Rights / Fairness, Equality / Gap between Rich and Poor
- Functionality / Comfort / Cognition (Understandability)
- Global Warming / Conservation of Resource and Energy / 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
- Safety and Security / Peace / International Contribution
5. Notes on the Full Papers to Be Submitted
- An English version of the full paper must be submitted.
- The text, photographs, illustrations, etc., of the full paper should be arranged on no more than 10 pages of the designated paper (A4 size).
- Please refer to the following "the format for the full paper".
- The contents of the full paper may not have been previously published.
- A collection of the abstracts will be distributed in a USB memory on the day of the conference. Following the conference, moreover, the full papers will be edited and then compiled and sold as a book or other publication. Please understand that the International Association for Universal Design will hold the copyrights to these publications.
- In January 2019, we will notify each author of the results of the full paper review along with the date of the presentation, and the type of presentation (oral or poster), to be provided by the author.
6. How to Submit Full Papers
To submit paper(s), please fill in the entry form first.
Shortly after registration, Login ID and Password will be sent to the registered email address. Click the URL of “My Page for Author” indicated in the email and log in to it using them.